Motivation Lessons for a Fitness Trainer

By | 2:00 AM Leave a Comment
By 

Personal trainers  motivate their clients-but who motivates the personal trainer?


Motivation Lessons for a Fitness Trainer
Motivation Lessons for a Fitness
Believe it or not, some personal trainers have trouble staying motivated to exercise.  Even though we work around fitness equipment-I even have free membership where I’m employed-motivation can fluctuate, and sometimes crash and burn.

I guess in this case, I can only speak for myself.  This year, I have been struggling with motivation.  And, through some self-discovery work, I realized that the lack in interest to exercise was centered around my confidence to maintain a fit body for life.  I know it’s possible to do so; however, I also know there are sacrifices to think about.  For instance, cutting back on the number of wings I can eat in one meal :)



I also realized that my biggest motivator to exercise was to keep my youthful curves in place…  And if that remains my biggest motivator, I may run into obstacles later.  For the first time in my life, I was able to put myself in my clients’ shoes.  I now understand why the typical “lose weight tone up” reason for exercise just doesn’t work.

Help is on the Way

I learned about a book called The Intrinsic Exerciser.  It’s a great book; I learned how to look at exercise in other ways.  Instead of focusing on goals that mean nothing to you, find goals that are meaningful and link them to the exercise that you do.  It helps to learn what you need to become healthy and whole, and discover how you can use exercise to fulfill those needs as well.

It’s a way to develop lifelong motivation to exercise, and I have to say, it works!  One of the methods taught in the book is to create an exercise mission statement-your reasons for exercising or why you like to exercise.

Here is my mission statement:

I like to exercise because it keeps me connected to my inner athlete.
Exercise is part of my identity, and I know it’s healthy and satisfying to express who I am.  In order to be healthy, whole, and successful, I need self-esteem, self-confidence, self-control, and the ability to bounce back from setbacks.  Exercise can provide those attributes; fitness has always helped me to feel better about myself.

Through exercise, I am able to manage my stress.  It helps me to sleep better and relax during stressful situations.  Exercise keeps my mind healthy.  If I want to continue to grow and change; educate; achieve; be creative; stay optimistic; focused; be a lifelong learner; and share my knowledge with others, I need a healthy mind.  

Last, but not least, exercise is important to me because I want to maintain a fit body for life.

In Closing

I recently taught a class talking about this very thing.  I am thinking about turning it into a free video course.  I feel that the material covered motivation strategies that are constantly overlooked, but they work better than any of them I’ve ever used.

Feels good to share what I learn about myself :)


0 commentaires:

Post a Comment